"Robin Hood"



Okay. This movie.
On Saturday night I had my friend Beka over, and my whole family watched it. I was kind of feeling "bleh" about watching it, because I had heard that it wasn't that great, I didn't really want to watch a movie, and Beka wasn't terribly excited about watching it, because she has a huge grudge against Russell Crowe.
And although I used to love him, 
I was like, "eh, Russell Crowe, I'm so over him, he's kinda old and overweight."


Well, I thought the movie was amazing, and we watched it again on Sunday night. ;-)


And by the end of the movie Beka and I were hugging each other 
and repenting of our lack of faith in Russell Crowe.


I have seen him in A Beautiful Mind, Cinderella Man, Master and Commander, 3:10 to Yuma, and, most recently, Gladiator (on ClearPlay!). And I liked him in all of the movies, but Gladiator bugged me, so I was just sort of not really into Russell Crowe anymore.
But I LOVED him in this movie. He was awesome, he was funny, he was a little arrogant, in a totally inoffensive way (Robin Hood has to be a little arrogant!) he was inspirational, he was a great leader, 
and his VOICE, people!! I love it so, so much.


White horse. YES.


Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett were great together, and this scene... oh my word.
Major sighing ensued from the viewers. Except for Benjamin... I'm pretty sure he didn't sigh...


I thought the cast was great. Oscar Isaac was Prince John (who became King John after Richard dies).
I had a hard time hating him, because he acts as Joseph in The Nativity Story, and I love him in that.
He was a jerk. But a handsome jerk.


Eileen Atkins as Eleanor of Aquitaine, King Richard and Prince John's mother.
She was amazing. I loved her as Deborah in Cranford, and she had a similar personality in this movie.
And there was a scene where she was holding this owl, which I wanted to cuddle so bad.


Mark Strong as Godfrey.
A slimy, slimy man with a shiny bald head.
What is with this actor?? 
He has been in SO many new movies lately, always playing the most horrific bad dude.
Of course I first saw him in the Kate Beckinsale Emma, years and years ago (hated him), and then in the last six months, have seen him in Stardust (didn't like that movie), Miss Pettigrew Lives for  Day, Sherlock Holmes, The Young Victoria, and now this movie.

Anyways, he makes a superb villain, and there was much loud rejoicing when he finally DIED.


Matthew Macfayden as the Sheriff of Nottingham. 
I thought he looked good with facial hair, but... the long hair didn't do anything for me.
He is Mr. Darcy in the new P&P, and Arthur Clenham in Little Dorritt, and I liked him in those, 
but he played a creepy loser pretty well, too.


Cate Blanchett as Lady Marion. I can't say I'm a big fan of hers, but I thought she played the part well, and  although I don't think she's terribly pretty, I think her kind of beauty fit the era really well. 
Some of her hairstyles and dresses were so horrifically unflattering, though. X-(


I loved Will Scarlet.


Doesn't Cate Blanchett totally look like a woman from medieval painting in this picture?
And isn't his collar amazing??



The costumes and sets were incredible. 


It is pretty violent, but not gory at all. The battles were epic. 
There was some awkward dialog, and a scene that was easy to skip.

Having said that, I recommend it!
Have you seen it? What did you think? Am I the only one who loves it?