Captain America


I have always loved superhero movies, despite being absolutely ignorant regarding the comic books. I loved Batman (until I decided the guy was just too darn grumpy for me) and then I loved Iron Man and then I loved Thor beyond all reason and then, I loved Captain America.


The movie is set in the 40's, knee-deep in World War II, complete with gritty American optimism, fantastic leather jackets, and bright red lipstick. Such a neglected era.


Chris Evans (who came out of nowhere) was truly awesome as Steve Rogers (aka Captain America). Although, seriously, "Steve"? Not a fan. Anyways.  He's dogged, compassionate, and self-sacrificial--a true hero. But he starts out computer-generated-imaged into painful scrawniness.


Enter awesome, honest, scientist with German accent. 



His procedure (kinda like steroids but... all at once) turns him into a "super-soldier". 


HOORAY! He's just as good-hearted, but much, much easier on the eyes.


This scene was probably my favorite: running barefoot through the streets of old New York city with newly-achieved muscles. And duking it out with Richard Armitage.


I loved the just plain war-hero element to him. Sure, he's a superhero, but he doesn't fly around with a cape. He runs around in the woods with a machine gun and dirty leather jacket and saves prisoners. 




* shiver * moment, for sure.


Thank you, Steve, for having such nice hair.


And a wonderful voice (reminds me of Josh Lucas), glorious clothing, and a fantastic nose and jaw (reminds me of Channing Tatum ♥)


Hayley Atwell was gorgeous and dignified as Peggy Carter. 


Their romance wasn't my favorite in the whole world (not like Thor and Jane ♥), but it was sweet and ultimately made me very emotional. If you've seen it--the sad scene is my other favorite scene. So beautiful and emotional and reminiscent of the beginning of Star Trek. 


By the way, if you haven't seen the new Star Trek because you're not a fan of Star-Trek-ishness (neither am I) or some of the offensive content (clearplay to the rescue) or Zachary Quinto (not gonna lie, he's terrifying) or Chris Pine (hold everything--you're crazy) please watch the first eleven minutes. (instant on Netflix!) Not only will you get to see Chris Hemsworth, pre-Thor, but the whole thing is gloriously, gut-wrenchingly tragic. 
(But don't watch it if you're violently opposed to labor scenes or extreme sadness).

Okay, I had to watch it again. Oh, man. Crying. So wonderful.

Anyways. *sniff *
Back to Captain America.


Tommy Lee Jones as Colonel Phillips was grumpy and insensitive and awesome and I loved him very much. He had so many great lines.



Hooray for Iron Man's dad! Dominic Cooper was dashing and cocky enough to pull off being Robert Downy Jr.'s father. But it's really sad to think he turned into that Walt Disney-esque man that's shown in Iron Man. Yikes.



The hat? I can't even talk about it. Why couldn't have kept the helmet!?


This, this was a good look.


I loved his loyal-to-the-death fighters.



And his crazy-awesome motorcycle.


Okay, more on the romance. You know how in movies there's always these opportune moments for hugging/kissing/revelations of feeling for each other? And they get ignored or interrupted? And then they finally kiss or talk about their feelings at the silliest, most inconvenient time? 


Yeah, well that happened. But I liked this part just the same. : ) Every girl wants to stop her guy, kiss him, and say "go get 'em". At least I do. 

However. Girls don't like to kiss men with weird skin-tight sorry-excuses-for-hats. My word.


It was a good movie. Go and see it and tell me what you think. Oh--be sure and stay past all of the end credits, because there is a shriek-worthy teaser trailer at the end. : )

Also, did anybody watch Thor since my post on it? What did you think?